A high-quality website is a key to success in the digital sphere for any brand. Without this element, it is impossible to imagine the development of a modern company. That is why sites have turned from a hard way to show yourself online into a mass phenomenon. Over the past few years, the creation of sites has become widely available, which could not help but affect the amount of low-quality products, which only increases. In addition, many pseudo-experts are creating poorly-made websites left and right.
Avoid common mistakes and pay attention to some essential tips to get the best out of your brand online. In this article, we will discuss these two aspects to see a complete picture of the problems that may arise on the way to a great result.
Top 3 mistakes when creating a website
- Relying only on visual content. Unlike graphic design, web design involves a complex approach. When creating a site, it is not enough to pay attention only to the appearance of pages and icons. It is important to always remember to provide user-friendly functionality. Without user-friendliness, your site will be nothing more than ineffective, pretty pictures. During the inception of your design, if you’re getting a UX design service, effectively communicate the needs of your company and its users with your trusted web design partners to ensure everything is in place.
- Lack of adaptation to different browsers. You have heard many times about the importance of site adaptation to different devices and screen formats. However, there is another category in which the need for the correct format must be considered. How your site will look depends on the correctness of its display in a specific browser. Due to the lack of cross-browser functionality, users will often leave your site and look for a convenient option adapted to them. To avoid this problem, find out which browsers are popular in your region and create sites for each of them.
- ack of logical structure. Even without other serious errors, this flaw has a very negative impact on site traffic. In general, the creation of a site should start with its structure, so that it is not necessary to completely change the finished product. Check that everything is logically divided into categories and subcategories and that there are no duplicate pages. These errors affect the ease of use of the site, users are not able to intuitively know where to look for a specific piece of information. In addition, with an incorrect structure, the search engine will not understand which of the pages should be ranged.
When all important points are taken into account, most developers begin to think about how it is possible to improve an already-ready site. There are many tips in this area, the effectiveness of which should be checked based on your specific experience. There is no one-size-fits-all recipe, but there are points that can be worked on to increase traffic, make your site easier to use, and look better. We have collected such tips in this article.
7 tips to improve your web design
- Improve page loading speed. This advice appears to be outside of design and appearance directly. However, as we have already mentioned, sites are a complex product that requires work from all sides. Sufficient download speed is especially important for mobile versions because this is where problems often arise. To reduce the user’s waiting time, you need to work on image optimization, clean the home page of unnecessary categories and buttons and use redirecting only when necessary. Accordingly, the loading speed still depends very much on the smart design of the pages and the effectively configured functionality.
- Clean pages of unnecessary content. It may seem that when all the necessary information is located on the site – the work is done. Often it’s quite the opposite, and you need to work a little harder to keep only the really important data. Too many graphic or animated elements prevent the user from perceiving the main information on the page. Also, think carefully about the number of pop-up elements and pulsating buttons, we recommend not to abuse these tools, but use the design to draw attention to the main thing.
- Develop your brand style. The presence of well-defined colors, graphics, and templates for the location of the basic elements of the site makes it much easier to work on the site and protects against the use of something superfluous. There are many platforms for this, like MasterBundles, where you can find many ready-made solutions, based on which it is easier to form your special style. This approach will not only have a positive effect on the appearance of the site but will also increase the recognition of your brand among users.
- Take the search system on the site to a new level. Everyone knows the basic tips for setting up a search, now it’s time to do something unique. Try implementing a self-selection experience. This tool allows users to answer specific questions about what they are looking for on your site and receive a personalized selection of products, service descriptions, price samples, etc. Thanks to such a detailed search, it will not be necessary to search for information in all categories of the site for a long time or to contact online support for help. The user will be able to quickly understand what he needs and which of the pages will help him find it. Such a tool is not basic, but with such a personalized approach, you will be able to distinguish your site from the competitors.
- Don’t forget about constant testing. A website, like any other element of your business, should not be a static tool that is created once and for years. This is one of the most variable aspects, work on which never stops. That is why, for the most effective design and functionality, it is necessary to constantly conduct testing. Testing the site every week or every two weeks will help to find all the problematic points and monitor how their correction affects the operation of the pages. You can use the A/B testing method, which consists in comparing two versions of your site and showing exactly which aspects have problems. also constantly update the information so that users see only up-to-date data.
- Work on the home page. The latest trend in creating home pages is the ability to scroll down for a long time. This page structure keeps the user on your site longer and allows him to familiarize himself with the main information more effectively. Also, long home pages expand your field of possibilities in terms of added information and variations of its location. Using a stretched start page, it is easy to place all the necessary elements and leave room for graphic filling or just white fields. Users, in turn, will be able to get a complete picture of what your company is about.
- Work with fonts and colors to your advantage. We have talked about a large number of functional aspects and in conclusion, it is worth mentioning the option of visual improvement. For the site to perform its function, it is necessary to correctly attract the attention of users. This can be done not only with the help of call-to-action buttons, but also thanks to the right visual filling. As an option, use the principle of visual hierarchy. The most important elements and pieces of information should be highlighted more strongly in color or larger bold text. Accordingly, less important will require a smaller font size and less active color selection. This method helps the user to perceive the information as you need it and does not require drastic changes in your initial design idea.
There are many tips for effective website design. It is important to be able to choose among them only those that are suitable for your business and coincide with your vision of the design concept. The tips collected in this article are universal and aimed at their personalized and creative use. Don’t forget about functional testing after all the added innovations and always keep your unique style.